The Home and Foreign Journal was published from July 1851 to September 1861, but discontinued due to the Civil War. The publication was restarted in May 1868 and continued to March 1874. It was a monthly newspaper style publication, but often did not publish on that schedule. It served as the publication for all three boards of the Southern Baptist Convention, the Foreign Mission Board of Richmond, Virginia, the Domestic and Indian Mission Board of Marion, Alabama, and the Sunday School Board of Greenville, South Carolina. The publication was published out of Richmond. The 4 page newspapers included brief articles about mission work, missionary stories and reports, excerpts from missionary letters, and pleas for money. The condition of many of these issues is poor and presents some readability problems.