Southern Baptist mission work in Nebraska began in the 1950s. In December, 1953, W. A. Burkey, secretary of missions for the Kansas Convention of Southern Baptists, traveled to Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota to learn about the status of Southern Baptist churches in those areas. At the time, there were 92 America Baptist churches in Nebraska and Burkey suggested the Southern Baptist Home Mission Board consider Nebraska as a missionary project. For the next 20 years, the HMB Department of Pioneer Missions and the KCSB assisted local Baptist church planters and missionaries establish churches in Nebraska. In 1966, Tommy Grozier, pastor of First Baptist Church of Bellevue, Nebraska, was elected president of the KCSB. In 1973, messengers to the KCSB voted to change the name of their Convention to the Kansas-Nebraska Convention of Southern Baptists.
The Nebraska Baptist Associations Newsletter publication, produced in the early 1970s, documents the work and ministry of Southern Baptist churches and associations in Eastern and Western Nebraska in the years immediately prior to the formal inclusion of Nebraska Baptist churches in the Kansas state Baptist convention. The newsletters are 4-8 pages in length. The publication is any word searchable.