The Foreign Mission Journal (1874-1916) was preceded by the Home and Foreign Journal (1868-1874) and succeeded by Home and Foreign Fields (1916-1937). The Foreign Mission Journal was produced and published by the Foreign Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention in Richmond, Virginia. Initially, it was a 4 page newspaper with brief stories and articles about missionaries, and updates on mission news. In latter issues the format would change to a 32 to 36 page journal. It then included photographs, historical articles, missionary stories, and letters from missionaries.